Beachheads Tour – 5 nights / 6 days
Arrival to Port Moresby. Meet guide at airport and transfer to hotel. Safety briefing at hotel.
Breakfast at hotel and transfer to Port Moresby airport for a flight to Popondetta. Arrive to Popondetta at and transfer by vehicle to Gona. From Gona you will travel by boat to Sanananda. You will receive a traditional welcome ceremony from the locals.
You will have a freshly prepared lunch at Sanananda. Then you will do the tour of Sanananda in the afternoon which includes 55/53 memorial, museum and barges, James Road Block and Sanananda Track, Huggins Road Block including wrecks.
The walking tour of the Sanananda Track can take between 3 and 5 hours, depending on how long you wish to take. The tour starts within the ‘old' Sanananda village near the 55/53 Battalion Memorial and encompasses sights, such as the small museum, the crash site of Wirraway A20-492 which was shot down on the 18th of January, 1943 with the loss of two crew.
You may also get to see the site of the Japanese Hospital where a very interesting collection of Japanese ‘false teeth', spectacles and ‘morphine' vials will be brought out to be viewed. And a visit to the roadblocks of "Huggins" and "James" are essential.
Waking up overlooking the Solomon Sea you will have breakfast and then take a boat for the short journey to Buna. On your battlefield tour of Buna you will see the 75mm Japanese gun, Gibson’s Place and the Japanese Bunkers. In addition to this there are the memorial and wrecks on the way into Buna on public land.
On your return to Sanananda you will have some extra time to view any of the sights that you may have missed out on the previous day.
Today is a day to do some of the cultural or leisure activities that are on offer at Sanananda. You have a choice of going fishing in a traditional dug-out canoe. There will also be a chance to purchase some locally made handicrafts as the ladies of Sanananda host their craft market
Leisurely start today to travel by boat to Gona. From Gona you will travel by vehicle to Popondetta and fly back to Port Moresby on the afternoon flight. Transfer back to the hotel. Evening meal at hotel at own expense.
Breakfast at hotel. Pick-up from hotel for tour of Bomana Cemetery. Then transfer to Port Moresby airport for the flight back to Australia.
• 2 nights twin-share hotel accommodation at Port Moresby
• Airport transfers
• 3 nights accommodation at Sanananda Guesthouse overlooking the Solomon Sea
• Food (freshly prepared meals) whilst at Sanananda
• Internal return flight from Port Moresby to Popondetta
• Airport transfers to and from Popondetta Airport
• Boat transport to and from Gona
• Entry to the following sights:
Sanananda sights - 55/53 memorial, museum and barges, James Road Block and Sanananda Track, Huggins Road Block including wrecks)
Buna sights - 75mm Gun, Gibson’s Place, Bunker - In addition to this there are the free memorial
and wrecks on the way into Buna on public land.
• Traditional Welcome Ceremony on arrival at Sanananda
•Tour of Bomana War Cemetery
• Travel visa to PNG (purchase on arrival at Port Moresby airport, 100 Kina per person (approx AUD $50)
• Personal Travel Insurance
• Meals at hotel (breakfast is included)
- Entry Visa to Papua New Guinea
Available on Request
- International return flight from Australia to Port Moresby
- Travel Insurance
- Single room surcharge
Beachheads Tour Dates for 2013
24 - 30 April 2013*
* extra night at Port Moresby and attendance at ANZAC Day Service at Bomana War Cemetery. Supplement applies.
9 - 14 July 2013
21 - 26 August 2013
1 - 6 October 2013
29 Oct - 3 Nov 2013